Past book launches
Book launch: Japan Copes with Calamity: Ethnographies of the Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Disasters of March 2011, 20 November 2013, Japan Foundation, London - http://www.jpf.org.uk/whatson.php?department=studies#596
Book launch: Manga Girl Seeks Herbivore Boy: Studying Japanese Gender at Cambridge, 23 February 2013, 5 pm
Talks and Seminars
• The Ra Jong-Yil Lectures in Korean Studies (Michaelmas term)
• The Kim Dae-Jung Memorial Lecture in Korean Studies (Lent term)
Special graduate classes
CURRENT ACADEMIC YEAR:
- Edo-period text reading group (with participation of the University of Pennsylvania via Skype); Dr Moretti; Monday, 3-5 pm; Emmanuel College, North Court, Office Z16.
- Kanbun text reading (mainly 15th to 17th century); Prof Kornicki; Wednesday, 11 am, Robinson College.
- Manchu text reading; Prof Kornicki; Wednesday, Robinson College.
Past special graduate classes
• 2012-13 The language of Meiji officialdom (Prof Peter Kornicki)
• 2012-13 Reading Japanese early-modern manuscripts and printed texts (Dr Laura Moretti)
• 2011-12 Manchu for beginners (Prof Peter Kornicki)
• 2010-11 Reading Edo-period blockprinted books (Prof Peter Kornicki)
• UK early-modern Japanese texts reading group (Emmanuel College, Dr Moretti)
Workshops and Conferences
- 1-16 August 2013: Edo-period written Japanese: an intensive course (Emmanuel College, Dr Moretti) https://sites.google.com/site/edoperiodwrittenjapanese/
Past workshops and conferences:
- 2013, July 12: International conference organized with Keio University 写本・版本 ケンブリッジ国際集会 (Emmanuel College, Dr Moretti)
- 2013, June 24: Workshop: ‘Shifts in time measurement, time perception and time use in Japan from the pre-modern to the modern era’ (Needham Institute, Cambridge)
- 2013, March 26-29 An international workshop on kanbun and kanbun kundoku (Emmanuel College, Dr Moretti)
- 2011-12 Alloglottography: script and scribal traditions in the Middle East and East Asia